Saturday, April 4, 2009

SSS - pass the word!

The most elemental reason for any communication whether it's a Tweet, a status update, a blog post, or a letter to mom, is to share information that you (at least) think is important.

But in the new world of social media it is hard to keep up with the language changes. English is tough enough as it is. What with there and their, its and it's. But a new language has emerged and it is making mastery of these new methods more challenging than I thought.

I spent days trying to find out what FRP meant.

Don't know, do you. Turns out, it doesn't mean anything unless you are following CNN's Rick Sanchez. In his posts, it means From Rick's Producer - meaning that Rick himself did not actually tap it out on his Blackberry.

The other day, I kept seeing RT. Having learned from my struggle with FRP, I just tweeted a friend and asked. Now I know that RT means Re Tweet for when you are passing on a tweet of general interest.

My question is who devises these acronyms and how does the general twitter-verse find out what they mean? Or are there a bunch of people either pretending they know what's going on?

So I'm going to try and start my own acronym to see what it takes for something completely meaningless to spread into general usage. Look for those tweets with SSS in them. What does it mean? Who knows. Maybe "simply stupid stuff" or "superfluous silly shit" or perhaps "somewhere someone cares about this stuff" (except I think that would be SSCS, but whose being picky.) After all, it's not like there's a style book for tweets.

So everytime you post something supercilious and silly or just downright stupid, tag it with SSS and I'm guessing that pretty soon it will have a life of its own.

SSS, for now... go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, thank you so much. I've been googling like crazy trying to figure out "FRP". Sanchez's tweets make so much more sense now.

    ReplyDelete